Tom Petty's Autopsy, Singer Died from Accidental Drug Overdose

Tom Petty

Died From Massive Accidental Drug OD

1/19/2018 3:51 PM PST

EXCLUSIVE

Tom Petty‘s autopsy results are in, and they show the singer died from an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications. 

The L.A. County Coroner says a number of Tom’s organs failed due to “mixed drug toxicity.”

Tom’s autopsy report shows the singer was on several pain meds, including Fentanyl patches, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl.  The reason doctors prescribed the meds was because of a number of medical problems, including emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip.

The family says the linchpin to Tom’s demise was the fractured hip.  He insisted on touring for 53 concert dates with the condition, which worsened over time and caused him to take the meds. On the date he died he was told the hip had graduated to a full-on break that made the pain unbearable and may have cause the overuse of meds.

The autopsy says Petty suffered from coronary artery atherosclerosis.

As we reported … Tom’s official death certificate left his his cause of death as “deferred,” leaving it as a mystery until now. 

We broke the story … Tom went into full cardiac arrest before being taken to a hospital in L.A. He eventually died when his family took him off life support. 

Tom was 66.