Lagos resident accuses policemen of brutality, seeks justice

A Lagos resident has accused some policemen at the Iyana-Ira, on Lagos-Badagry Expressway, of brutality, seeking justice for alleged infraction of his rights.

Nwafor Amichi, who described himself as an aspiring fashion blogger and photographer on his @suddencameraman Instagram page, alleged that one Edosa Friday – @bob_friya on Instagram – spearheaded his inhumane treatment.

In a telephone conversation with The PUNCH on Tuesday, Amichi said a policeman accosted him at Iyana-Ira while he was about to board a bus to Agbara and asked to see his phone.

Amichi said he refused to hand over his phone and instead asked the officer to identify himself, following which he was shown an ID card with the name Edosa Friday.

He said, “On Monday, around 11 am, I was about to take a shuttle at Iyana-Ira when a man stopped me and asked to see my phone.

“I refused and asked him to identify himself. He flashed an identity card, on which I saw the name Edosa Friday.

“He again asked to see my phone, but when I refused, he let me go.

“So, I took the shuttle and sat in the front beside the driver; but before we got to Agbara, a shuttle bus flagged us down.

“There were four policemen in the bus. They ordered me to come down and get inside their bus. I refused.”

Amichi said the policemen — three in uniform and another in mufti — rough-handled and then dragged him into their bus, before speeding off to Ijanikin Police Station.

In his Instagram post, Amichi alleged that the policemen slapped him several times as they journeyed to the police station. He confirmed this to The PUNCH.

The police officers went through the contents of his mobile phone, but found nothing incriminating, he alleged.

According to him, one of the officers, in anger, returned his phone, saying, “Since you no be Yahoo Boy (swindler) why you dey hide your phone?”

Amichi said he made a telephone call to the Public Complaint Rapid Response Unit to file a complaint concerning his treatment, but was told to send his complaint by WhatsApp.

He said, “I did,  but I’m yet to get a reply;” adding that the DPO of the station has fixed a meeting with him for Tuesday (today) afternoon.

See the Instagram post:

See the video:


(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)